Artist Forum banner

Background suggestions

918 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pslane1 
#1 ·
I am looking for suggestions for adding a background to this little water color butterfly. I've attempted backgrounds before after masking and taping the sketch but never done a decent one after the painting is done. I can't decide which colors to use for this. Anybody got any ideas?
Pollinator Flower Butterfly Insect Arthropod

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd google floral watercolors and look for a wash that looks like the rose or flower subject was in a garden and the background is out of focus. The background colors can be muted by using a wet in wet technique or really watery colors so that the yellows blues and greens you choose don't pop more than the subject. Put the colors on a test sheet and hold them up to the different parts of your painting to see which things go well next to each other.

It also wouldn't look bad with a nice sky in the background. Don't use a sunset or anything that would take away from your butterfly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.