Artist Forum banner

Acrylic Paintings

23K views 155 replies 21 participants last post by  wednesdayschild888 
#1 ·
This is my first Acrylic Painting, "Land of Enchantment" 11 x 14. Acrylic on canvas.

See less See more
#8 ·
I appreciate that, Chanda! I've always known I would end up in acrylics if not oils... lofty goals. The last one did look rather like Heather, but the intent was to test skin color in the new medium. I used a multi level glazing technique.

#13 · (Edited)
Thank you, Chanda! Your comment was quite unexpected. That is what I've been thinking: Acrylic fits me. I love the effects of light, and can effortlessly handle that with this medium. The quick drying is perfect for my fast style. Neither of the two last paintings took more than two hours. I don't use a color chart, mixed from only 6 colors (cheap Walmart craft acrylic paint), intuitive combinations don't get in the way of the creative process.

#23 ·
I adore the train and landscape pieces, and I like the colors in the last, but I too haven't ever been one for abstract paintings.

I'm envious of your ability to create something so amazing with so little.
It's something I strive to do. I've managed to do it a few times in my early and minor projects (with that same cheap paint) but nothing I've ever been able to achieve in a major piece as of late.

Definitely keep it up. And one more thing, before I start to ramble.. Have you ever heard of plein-air painting, where you sit outside and paint? With (quick) landscapes like those it seems like something you'd excel in, if that isn't what you do already.

#27 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, Chanda, I hope this next one continues my path of improvement.

This started as a cloud exercise, and became a full painting. When it came time to select a main subject, I chose Cloud and his lead Mare, Velvet of PBS fame.
"Cloud and Velvet" 16 x 20, on canvas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.