Artist Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Thanks!
One day left, two paintings short for the contest/show. I know this is a futile effort, but a challenge that must be faced.
This painting came from a couple of pics I took last month, plus an imagination... "Santa Fe Fire and Ice"

·
Registered
469 Posts
great colors- man I still really love the buffalo hunt piece, I go back to it constantly. I had missed your post about the win at the fair, way to go Donny! outstanding!! and yep the frames are the frosting on the cake.
really beautiful work.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow, what a difference in the "looking back" one, Don!

I know you'll get those last two done. Good luck at the show, you'll do great!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Again, lovely lovely lovely paintings. Saying that the buffalo hunt piece is gorgeous would be an understatement. Okay, enough drooling...

I think it's a little late for me to give you deadline-meeting advice, but I have been known on occasion to wait 'til the last possible moment to finish a piece. For me, it's always been about late nights and juuust enough caffeine to keep you awake, but not enough to make your hands shake!

Some real advice: Don't rush the process, but instead, condense it (meaning more work and fewer breaks over a short period). I've also been known to recycle a piece or two *cough* by scratching the date off *cough cough*. But in the end, just keep in mind something that I can't seem to: your health and pride in your work are more important than a deadline.

But if you can make the deadline (which I don't doubt you can do), then I think we can all agree that you'll do well. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Thank you so much, my friends for the advice and encouragement! I only had 7 ready in the end, but that worked. Hands not too shakey from late late night sessions, lol. The buffalo hunt and Old Oak revieved no small amount of attention at check-in. Supporting evidence of originality was required for each painting (photos, sketches) I saw a number of paintings rejected for lack of it, but, miracle of miracles, all 7 of mine made the cut.
I have no high expectaions for this event: 95 fantastic artists from 5 states, over 500 paintings, then there's me, ameteur amoung pros. Here are some pics of the works in frames I built this week.

It will be next weekend before I know results when the show opens to the public.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Amateur? Pfffff, not you, Don! Your work is as good if not better than a lot of "pro's" work I've seen. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and nobody can look at your work and not be moved. You're going to do great!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Thank you for that, PMI!

Back to the routine.. here is a remake of one I did last spring in Pastel,
"End of Day" 16 x 20 on Canvas

·
Registered
145 Posts
I sure like your trees, especially the Aspens. I have several favorites. I'm fond of the 'looking up at the Aspens' alot and also the 'Old Oak' even though it's not Aspen, it's fun to look at.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Thank you, Chanda and Sean! I really enjoy painting trees. If I wasn't so restless, I might make a tree artist exclusively.
Here is a painting with trees in it, but the main character is a bull Buffalo with an attitude: "The King of Yellowstone". 16 x 20. (You got me on the buffalo kick, Sean)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Very nice Don! Another piece where you almost feel as though you are there. Quiet and cool with only the sounds of the breathing and bellowing of the buffalo and the sounds of birds in the distance...

Nice!

·
Registered
145 Posts
My first impression, "Burr, where's my jacket!"
Very nice job. You caught the beauty and the harshness. The wind-swept snow covered foreground is wonderful. Plus you show the depth of the scene, which I imagine must be difficult to do. Great!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 · (Edited)
Thank you both for that! It was a fun painting to do. As to depht in the painting, its a matter of applying perspective in scale along with effective composition. Or is it I was lucky. In that one? Lol!

The gallery I show in announced an Owl and bird painting show for October, so I did this today, a remake of my early charcoal, "Watcher in the Moonlight". This is my first bird attempt in Acrylic. "Snowy Owl"

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Thanks, PencilmeIn and Chanda! Sometimes they work easily. Depends on getting my coffee quota, lol.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts