Artist Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
Terry, I'm not trying to sound mean. You asked for input. I see a lot more that needs work. I will just give you some of the biggest problems with her face. You have the shape wrong. The eyes are misaligned and oversized. They are the wrong color and appear two dimensional. Her left cheek is wrong shape and her hair is the wrong color.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Terry, I'm not trying to sound mean. You asked for input. I see a lot more that needs work. I will just give you some of the biggest problems with her face. You have the shape wrong. The eyes are misaligned and oversized. They are the wrong color and appear two dimensional. Her left cheek is wrong shape and her hair is the wrong color.
I know you are not trying to be mean Just, and I truly do appreciate your input because you are a very talented artist and can see things that I can't.

I think I can work on her eyes some. I do agree with you that they are oversized but at this point I can't change that, but perhaps I can make them more three dimensional by working with the color of the white part. When you say the color of the eyes are wrong are you meaning the Iris of the eyes? I really thought I got that spot on. So maybe it's the lighting of photo of the picture that is showing it different.

I've looked at the shape of the face since you mentioned it and I do see where I can work on the jaw line some more but I'm not sure what else needs work.

In the painting her hair is both darker and thicker. Is that what you meant?

As for other things like the alignment of her eyes and the shape of her right cheek and the general shape of her face all I can say is I appreciate you pointing it out. I do want to improve and it means I need to improve in those areas but for now I have to leave those flaws in the picture because I don't honestly think I'm capable of making them better at this stage. You are critiquing the picture as you would a fellow artist and me being so new to art I find that a great compliment.

Now back to my easel to work on those items you spoke of...Thank You.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Is this Better?

In the post before last 'Just' pointed out a few things that needed more work. I did as much as I could for the skill and tools I have. I've stretched my painting skills way beyond what I thought I was capable of to get the picture to the point it is. It feels so good, this is the best I've ever done. I'm honestly afraid to change her face any further at this point so this is her final face. Next I will start her shirt after resting for a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's fantastic. I really like it Terry.
The background is ok, it combines with the pic and its soft so I see no reason for changing it again >.<

Splendid work!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Done?

I think I'm done...but I have learned that very often I think that and then someone sees something off, or I see something off. I love getting the kudos from you guys, but I appreciate even more you pointing out things that should be changed and if I agree and I can change them I will. If not I keep it in mind for next time. I find that it's just like proof reading your own writing...the brain overlooks...actually doesn't see it's own mistakes.
Chanda I'll be loading the picture to my album, I know you can't see this at work.

·
Registered
879 Posts
As Mc'Donalds motto... I'm Loving it >.<

Only 1 thing I found... strange. Her neck, when it starts the shirt (The shirt collar, I don't know how it's called) I would add a very soft shadow. Its like... it just appears there, it looks weird for me >.< (Hope you get the idea with that explanation hahahahaha)

Anyway you should wait for someone with more knowledge and better eye for details, cuz I'm probably wrong.

Therefore... IT'S GREAT!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Where shadows should be are sometimes hard to spot. Thank you for your input FanKi. I had a lot of trouble doing the shadows on the neck as you can tell from one picture to the other the neck changed. My son Jim is happy with the neck, he had a lot of comments about it, so I think I'm just going to leave it as is.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts