Artist Forum

Artist Forum (https://www.artistforum.com/forumindex.php)
-   Pen and Ink Drawing (https://www.artistforum.com/pen-ink-drawing/)
-   -   Illustration Experiment (https://www.artistforum.com/pen-ink-drawing/illustration-experiment-17634/)

jaor 05-01-2015 08:26 AM

Illustration Experiment
 
So right now I am lightly experimenting techniques to illustrate quick pieces.

This was done with pen and Prismacolor markers, did it all during 2 of my lunch breaks at work. Only took an hour and 20min to complete total, so not too shabby.
Also wasn't sure where to put this, but I used pen :p

http://i57.tinypic.com/6r83lh.jpg

TerryCurley 05-01-2015 08:52 AM

It's Rapunzel from the movie Tangled. Good job! I must have watched that movie 5 times with my granddaughters.

You are very talented.




cjm1972 05-01-2015 09:58 AM

Nice work, really well done. :)

jaor 05-01-2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryCurley (Post 78482)
It's Rapunzel from the movie Tangled. Good job! I must have watched that movie 5 times with my granddaughters.

You are very talented.

It is my favorite movie lol, and I appreciate the kind words!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjm1972 (Post 78506)
Nice work, really well done. :)

Thank you!

chanda95 05-01-2015 03:44 PM

You really are incredibly talented and we are glad to have you here. Very nice work.




jaor 05-01-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chanda95 (Post 78618)
You really are incredibly talented and we are glad to have you here. Very nice work.

thank you very much!

Bushcraftonfire 05-06-2015 11:42 PM

Nice work Jaor.. very good job.. Prismacolor can be used in layers.. and if done carefully.. you can get rid of a lot of those wash lines.. but it looks good as is

D:cool:

jaor 05-07-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushcraftonfire (Post 79978)
Nice work Jaor.. very good job.. Prismacolor can be used in layers.. and if done carefully.. you can get rid of a lot of those wash lines.. but it looks good as is

D:cool:

I am familiar with Prismacolor markers and other markers in that range (Copic and AD). By wash lines, do you mean the "shadows" I tried to create. Right now I have a limited color selection, so I cannot layer different colors to give proper depth into the drawing. All I did was lay a few layers after a layer dried, of the same color, to make it "darker" and tried to intentionally leave parts with only one layer for high lights.

And it is ok for a quick rendering, I need to practice more with techniques.

Bushcraftonfire 05-07-2015 01:18 PM

It IS good Bro.. you did a fine job with it. And the technique you used is a valid one. I just don't like harsh shadow lines (for the most part) in my drawings.. But there is definitely a place for that... especially in cartoon work.

One example of what I mean is the line on her chest..again.. nothing necessarily wrong with it.. just kind of detracts from the rest of the fine work IMO. A larger range of pens would definitely help you.. one suggestion.. get a couple of VERY LIGHT greys.. they can go over what you have and act as a shader..

D:cool:

jaor 05-07-2015 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bushcraftonfire (Post 80338)
It IS good Bro.. you did a fine job with it. And the technique you used is a valid one. I just don't like harsh shadow lines (for the most part) in my drawings.. But there is definitely a place for that... especially in cartoon work.

One example of what I mean is the line on her chest..again.. nothing necessarily wrong with it.. just kind of detracts from the rest of the fine work IMO. A larger range of pens would definitely help you.. one suggestion.. get a couple of VERY LIGHT greys.. they can go over what you have and act as a shader..

D:cool:

I see what you are saying. Yeah, I need to work on quick illustration work. I have done "realistic" marker renderings where I can spend countless hours into it, like my colored pencil drawings, I am trying to avoid that and make these only a few hours. I struggle with quick turnarounds.

As for the pen issue, I have been wanting to try out different brush tips. I was watching an illustrator only use a brush tip for all his lines and it was amazing. Definitely a lot of control is needed, comes with practice though, so we shall see how that turns out.

lol I wish I had grays to use, but right now my lightest is 40%, I am out of them right now. I plan on buying a lot Copic markers for personal use, I currently use my Prismacolor markers for work, so I don't need as big of a range of colors and shading. Hopefully I can buy them as soon as my funds allow it...right now my car is absorbing every bit of my spending money haha


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome