Pastel Landscapes: Sedona Arizona - Artist Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Bee
Junior Member
 
Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
Pastel Landscapes: Sedona Arizona

I'm new to this forum and would like to share my pastel work with others. Here are a couple of pieces I've done recently. You can also view my pastel Album here on Artist Forum. (not sure how to show you that link at this point!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sedonasketch copy.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	5.02 MB
ID:	56329  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sedona2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	56331  


This world is but a canvas to our imagination-Thoreau

Last edited by Bee; 11-18-2018 at 05:40 AM. Reason: titles
Bee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 11-18-2018, 05:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Eugenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
Hello !
That's beautiful ! These two pieces sure are beautiful ones ! Congrats ! But may I ask you what pastels were used to do them ? I'm really interested in it !

The air is full of the shudders of things that flee
Eugenie is offline  
post #3 of Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Bee
Junior Member
 
Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
Hello !
That's beautiful ! These two pieces sure are beautiful ones ! Congrats ! But may I ask you what pastels were used to do them ? I'm really interested in it !
Thank you! I'm enjoying working from photographs of the Sedona area-I love that they afford using bright, vibrant colors!! Yes, the pastels I am using are Mungyo Soft Pastels and Yarka Soft Pastels. I've only recently begun working in pastel and as I am retired, I don't have the budget for the more expensive pastels. My Yarka sets were given to me by a friend who did not enjoy working in pastel, so I have over 300 sticks of that brand and 64 sticks of the Mungyo's.

This world is but a canvas to our imagination-Thoreau
Bee is offline  
 
post #4 of Old 11-19-2018, 01:08 AM
Junior Member
 
Eugenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
I totally agree with you ! I drew a scene from "The good, the bad, and the ugly" with pastels and black chinese ink for the silhouette, once, I really enjoyed doing it ! Anywat, back to you ! A huge THANKS for the name of your pastels, I'll go and see if I can found them in some store here in France ! What do you use as a base ? (fig-leaf ? Canvas ? What kind of canvas ?) Sorry to bother you ! Thank you so much for the replies !
Eugenie is offline  
post #5 of Old 11-19-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Bee
Junior Member
 
Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
I totally agree with you ! I drew a scene from "The good, the bad, and the ugly" with pastels and black chinese ink for the silhouette, once, I really enjoyed doing it ! Anywat, back to you ! A huge THANKS for the name of your pastels, I'll go and see if I can found them in some store here in France ! What do you use as a base ? (fig-leaf ? Canvas ? What kind of canvas ?) Sorry to bother you ! Thank you so much for the replies !
It isn't a bother at all! Thank you for your kind words about my work! At present I am using Canson MiTientes as well as some other generic pastel paper that I coat with clear gesso in order to get a bit more tooth on it. These two pieces are on the cheap pastel paper that has the gesso coat. I've used 400 grit industrial sandpaper to paint on as well. I actually enjoyed working on the industrial sandpaper a lot and will use it again as it is really budget friendly, although it is not archival. I plan on investing in some good pastel papers soon too. I want to get some UArt paper and Ampersand papers when my work improves a bit more!

This world is but a canvas to our imagination-Thoreau
Bee is offline  
post #6 of Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 AM
Junior Member
 
Eugenie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: France
Posts: 8
Thank you so much for being that nice with me ! I meant all the things I said about your work, that's amazing ! I don't really know how it's possible to draw with soft pastels, too much powder for me !
Thanks for these informations about the kind of paper you do draw on, that reassures me to know that I use a paper that isn't that bad (I kinda use the same papers as you do)
Thanks a lot, again and again !
Eugenie is offline  
post #7 of Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Bee
Junior Member
 
Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenie View Post
Thank you so much for being that nice with me ! I meant all the things I said about your work, that's amazing ! I don't really know how it's possible to draw with soft pastels, too much powder for me !
Thanks for these informations about the kind of paper you do draw on, that reassures me to know that I use a paper that isn't that bad (I kinda use the same papers as you do)
Thanks a lot, again and again !
You're welcome, Eugenie!

This world is but a canvas to our imagination-Thoreau
Bee is offline  
post #8 of Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 AM
Junior Member
 
pastelartprints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Hastings, Australia
Posts: 21
Pastel Landscapes: Sedona Arizona

Stunning work.It is very exciting for every artist to start a new painting. The first stroke of the painting is full of enthusiasm and joy, but it all can go wrong in the very next step. Painting with pastels is a skill learned with patience and the urge to hone skills, and eventually, learn from your mistakes. Besides, you can convert your mistake into a masterpiece with a few smart strokes on the canvas. https://bit.ly/2OrsOQm
pastelartprints is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Artist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










« pastel landscape | - »
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome