Need help! What are the most important things to know as a beginner at oil painting? - Artist Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By adamtyler
  • 1 Post By TerryCurley
  • 1 Post By M Winther
  • 1 Post By Mel_Robertson
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 03-29-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Need help! What are the most important things to know as a beginner at oil painting?

What are the most important things to know as a beginner at oil painting?
devon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 03-29-2016, 05:03 AM
Junior Member
 
adamtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon View Post
What are the most important things to know as a beginner at oil painting?

Hi, Devon!
1) Oil painting is "from dark to light." Meaning that it's easier to start with the darker colors as your base then layer your highlighting colors on top of it.

2) Oil painting is "meant to be seen from a distance." Pause painting every now and then and take several steps back. Are the proportions right? Are the colors looking good? The painting still look good from far away?

3) Experiment! Break the rules! We are living in a modern world where the sky is no longer the limit. So enjoy your painting. Usually experimental artists use 'easier' and cheaper mediums like acrylics, but why not oil? Go for it!
bbbaldie and TonTon like this.

How to choose best watercolor paper - community.localmasters.com/lm_questions/choosing-watercolor-paper
Oil painting guide - community.localmasters.com/lm_questions/oil-painting-for-beginners
We also invite people to share their Knowledge, skills, and experiences or help or want to do something positive to other people and gain deeper insight in painting, on - http://community.localmasters.com
adamtyler is offline  
post #3 of Old 03-30-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtyler View Post
Hi, Devon!
1) Oil painting is "from dark to light." Meaning that it's easier to start with the darker colors as your base then layer your highlighting colors on top of it.

2) Oil painting is "meant to be seen from a distance." Pause painting every now and then and take several steps back. Are the proportions right? Are the colors looking good? The painting still look good from far away?

3) Experiment! Break the rules! We are living in a modern world where the sky is no longer the limit. So enjoy your painting. Usually experimental artists use 'easier' and cheaper mediums like acrylics, but why not oil? Go for it!
thanks adam!it was a great help!
devon is offline  
 
post #4 of Old 03-30-2016, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
TerryCurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,691
Welcome to the forum.

One thing to remember when painting with oils is that you can use an acrylic underpainting if you want. Oil over acrylic is OK, but never paint acrylic on top of oil paints you will have a pilling problem if you do.



adamtyler likes this.
TerryCurley is offline  
post #5 of Old 03-31-2016, 05:11 PM
Junior Member
 
adamtyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: California
Posts: 11
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCurley View Post
Welcome to the forum.

One thing to remember when painting with oils is that you can use an acrylic underpainting if you want. Oil over acrylic is OK, but never paint acrylic on top of oil paints you will have a pilling problem if you do.
Really True!!! I find people trying to work on acrylic over oil, which is basically impossible. The oily base repels the water in the acrylic so its almost impossible to paint and you end up with the resulting adhesion problems. The basic rule when painting in oils is Fat over Lean. In other words high oil content over low oil content. And this works between layers of oil as with oil over acrylics as well.

How to choose best watercolor paper - community.localmasters.com/lm_questions/choosing-watercolor-paper
Oil painting guide - community.localmasters.com/lm_questions/oil-painting-for-beginners
We also invite people to share their Knowledge, skills, and experiences or help or want to do something positive to other people and gain deeper insight in painting, on - http://community.localmasters.com
adamtyler is offline  
post #6 of Old 04-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Senior Member
 
kpnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: UK essex
Posts: 245
Interesting and very helpful, I used oil paints in my teens (several millenia ago) and was thinking maybe I would give them a go.

My favorite quote "I'll be back"
kpnuts is offline  
post #7 of Old 05-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 159
I think the most important tip to the beginner is this: use alkyd medium (e.g. Liquin, Galkyd, etc.) instead of linseed medium. It makes life easier for the budding artist, for it avoids many mistakes (such as painting lean over fat), and the paintings become more archival and will yellow less. (However, perhaps Hard Wax Oil could be used as medium, instead, as I suggested in my recent thread.)

Mats
TerryCurley likes this.
M Winther is offline  
post #8 of Old 05-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 773
I watch this guy a lot his names kevin hill, his video's make me want to learn oils but he only paints landscapes but I consider him a master.
he gives great tips all the time.

TerryCurley likes this.
Mel_Robertson is offline  
post #9 of Old 05-14-2016, 09:50 AM
Senior Member
 
TerryCurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Winther View Post
I think the most important tip to the beginner is this: use alkyd medium (e.g. Liquin, Galkyd, etc.) instead of linseed medium. It makes life easier for the budding artist, for it avoids many mistakes (such as painting lean over fat), and the paintings become more archival and will yellow less. (However, perhaps Hard Wax Oil could be used as medium, instead, as I suggested in my recent thread.)

Mats
Plus it dries quicker! I use Walnut Alkyd Medium. Love that stuff.



TerryCurley is offline  
post #10 of Old 05-15-2016, 12:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I watch this guy a lot his names kevin hill, his video's make me want to learn oils but he only paints landscapes but I consider him a master.
he gives great tips all the time.
But it is all about acquiring "likeness" by resort to different techniques. This is impressionism and it is outdated. Personally, I'm not interested in how well an artist can paint a thing in nature. I'm interested in what he has to say. So expressionism is better. Why not paint large homogeneous areas of green, as in below paintings by August Macke, rather than making the impression of grass blades, by way of some neat brush technique? This is why expressionism is closer to abstract art and this explains why the first abstract painters, Kandinsky and Malevich, found support among them. /Mats




M Winther is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Artist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome