Having the ability to take something from your imagination and turn it into a beautiful work of art is a gift that not everyone has. But even such a wonderful gift can be frustrating at times when you find yourself in the midst of a mental block. When your creativity starts to stutter, where do you turn for inspiration? Keep reading for some helpful ideas.
- Take the time to get organized. If you’re feeling burnt out or you are having trouble finding inspiration, it never hurts to take a little time out to clean up your studio and to get things organized. In many cases, getting started with a new piece is the hardest part but having your space clean and ready when inspiration strikes may be more helpful than you realize.
- Go out and take some pictures. When your own well of inspiration is running low, don’t just lock yourself up in your studio and wallow in your frustration – get out there and find something that excites you! Even if you aren’t much of a photographer, the act of going out and capturing images on camera can be inspiring in and of itself. You never know what image might capture your attention and send your imagination into high gear.
- Just start doodling. Another simple thing you can do to get the creative juices flowing is to simply sit down with a pad and pencil and start doodling. You can do it in front of the TV, if you like, or find someplace outdoors to sit. Once you’re settled, just start sketching the things around you or follow your mind wherever it takes you.
- Meet up with other creative individuals. It’s never okay to copy someone else’s work, but sometimes being in the presence of other creative minds can be a source of inspiration in and of itself. If you get to talking about your work, you may find a renewed passion for it and inspiration will be quick to follow. Who knows, you might even learn something new!
- Pick up a book. Many people who produce art also love to read. If that sounds like you, try picking up a book when you are having trouble finding the inspiration to create. Immersing yourself in a fictional world will open your mind in new and different ways, and who knows what it might awake in you! Even if you don’t immediately come up with a great idea, reading is a great way to get the creative juices flowing.
- Participate in a challenge or contest. If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas on your own, maybe you should try using someone else’s idea! There are plenty of challenges and contests online for artists – find one and use the guidelines to create. Even if you don’t end up completing the challenge, you’ll have gotten over the hump and started something new. From there, your own creativity may start to blossom once more.
Being an artist is a challenge but it is also something very wonderful. It can be frustrating at times when you feel like you are completely out of ideas, but you may be surprised at how little it takes to restore your passion and creativity.