Everyone has an artist hiding somewhere deep inside them. Whether you have a flair for the creative, a talent with a paintbrush, or you’re just good with your hands, art is what you make it. There is no right or wrong way to create art, but there are some simple tips every artist should keep in mind. Here are 10 of the best artist tips you’ll ever read:
- Use high-quality materials. Though you don’t necessarily need to spend a fortune on materials, the higher the quality of the materials you use, the better it will be to work with. If you’re experimenting with a new medium, you can certainly stick to a lower quality until you get a feel for it but if you’re committed to a certain medium, try to buy quality materials.
- Try new techniques. As an artist, you never know where inspiration will come from so you should always be trying new things. You might just discover a new favorite medium!
- Practice, practice, practice. Art is always what you make it, but you can definitely improve your own skill by practicing often. Whether you’re trying to improve your drawing ability, your paint application, or your composition, practice is the way to get there.
- Do what makes you happy. Though many artists sell their work, the most important thing will always be that you love what you do. Draw or paint what makes you happy.
- Don’t compare yourself to others. Competition is a fact of life, but comparing yourself to other artists is not the way to grow. You can take inspiration or motivation from other artists, but you will only truly be successful if you believe in yourself and develop your craft.
- Enjoy the process. Creating art is a process, so take the time to enjoy it! If you don’t love what you do, it will be evident in your work and you’ll never gain a following or sell any of your pieces.
- Always keep growing and learning. There is no limit to what you can create. As an artist, you should always be growing and learning new things. Inspiration is all around you and there are many mediums to explore. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try something new.
- Take your time. There is no rule that says how long a piece should take to create. You will set your own pace and that’s a fact, but make sure you are giving yourself time to create your art.
- Remember that there are no mistakes. When you are learning a new technique or medium, there will be a learning curve, but every so-called mistake is an opportunity. Trying new things is how you learn, and, in the process, you might actually end up creating something amazing.
- Never give up. Making a living as an artist is difficult, but if you give up, you’ll never know how far you can go. Be committed to your creativity and to your work and you’ll succeed.
Remember, your job as an artist is to find your own voice. Create the art that speaks to you and don’t be afraid to step outside the box. By following the tips provided above, you can delve deeper into your own creativity and become the artist you’ve always wanted to be.