Value of Sharing Works - Page 2 - Artist Forum
 66Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejaye View Post
I have been really struggling to get constructive criticism with my work, from every avenue I try. Not sure if it is because my work isn't good enough to even critique, if it is because it is sculptural, or if folks are afraid to hurt my feelings (I am, after all, a very new artist). My husband is also an artist, and has helped me quite a bit, but sometimes hearing it from a spouse is NOT appropriate, haha.

Any way, I agree with the need to have your artwork (or ANY work) critiqued for personal/professional growth. Finding a person with both the know-how and the tact to get the point across can be tricky, though!
I took the liberty to look at your albums. From what I can see, your work is top notch. I would be more constructive but I can't get your pictures to expand.
Susan Mulno likes this.
just is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
TerryCurley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejaye View Post
I have been really struggling to get constructive criticism with my work, from every avenue I try. Not sure if it is because my work isn't good enough to even critique, if it is because it is sculptural, or if folks are afraid to hurt my feelings (I am, after all, a very new artist). My husband is also an artist, and has helped me quite a bit, but sometimes hearing it from a spouse is NOT appropriate, haha.

Any way, I agree with the need to have your artwork (or ANY work) critiqued for personal/professional growth. Finding a person with both the know-how and the tact to get the point across can be tricky, though!
I think in your case it's because your sculptures are very good. I know that I'm a relative beginner and I actually don't see flaws in the work of those that are more advanced than I am. I think that is the case for a lot of us. It's those people that have been doing it for many years that can spot things that us newbie don't even see. And for me sometimes I don't even see it once it is pointed out.



TerryCurley is offline  
post #13 of Old 08-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9
Art Critisim

Good topic. I've been doing paintings about 7 years and i think i do it alot different than most. I have gotten out paintings that are 5 years old, 6 months old etc. I work on all of them over years. Doing a little this and that each time, so I'd be super sensitive about having critisim on my work. I am very obsessive and never know when to give up when one isn't working out. I punish myself beyond belief because of that (emotionally).
So, everyone is different and you can see that their are many aspects to consider. I never show my work anymore. I used to be on another art site and show them, but haven't in a year or so. This is the first art site other than that, that i just joined. ..getting long, sorry......
patindaytona is offline  
 
post #14 of Old 08-24-2015, 07:47 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9
Oh, facebook...i hardly ever get any comments on that and their are many "friends". I don't know what they're thinking, i know my work is "pretty good". I do alot of photography also, and then they all comment...??? I think it's just that placecs like that people aren't into paintings and it just doesn't interest them.
TerryCurley and Susan Mulno like this.
patindaytona is offline  
post #15 of Old 08-24-2015, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 400
@chanda95 " There have been a few where I have been less than kind (not many but a few). We had a member a few years back where his work was CRAP but he claimed to be better than us all. He also claimed to be some wizard of some high order. I am sure he threw a hex on us. Sorry. Don't come in here with a high and mighty attitude that you are better than us but aren't able to deliver on that"
I think am sort of an expert on forums/groups/FBgroups/games groups/etc and I tell you I've met like dozens of those kind.I think it's an Ego complex...the only way they feel better is by going online and bragging about how big their willy is when in fact you'd need a microscope to see it but "wizards" are a special kind of stupid.Oy gutenu
@patindaytona I am in several artist FB groups and I hardly get any feedback and if I do is very subjective.I also have an artist FB page but again I don't think is of any help at all.Now FB groups tends to be very prejudicious:for ex I noticed that flowers/pets/birdies always get hundrets(am not kidding) of likes while the more abstract works get 10 maybe 20 likes and also I noticed that people tend to look down on the abstract works.On the other hand the abstract artists get their share...I've seen some groups on FAA that do not accept abstract artists that are not fully abstract(that is no human/animal whatever just lines and whatever)and they too look down on the other kind of artists.So here depends WHO is doing the critique ...if it's an oil artists that is more into classic art that is asked to critique some surreal pastel on paper sort of piece then he might get very "nasty" on it even if the piece in itself is a masterpiece.It happened to me many times...people saying "oh acrylics are no good...you should try oils bla bla"
Asancta is offline  
post #16 of Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asancta View Post
@chanda95 " There have been a few where I have been less than kind (not many but a few). We had a member a few years back where his work was CRAP but he claimed to be better than us all. He also claimed to be some wizard of some high order. I am sure he threw a hex on us. Sorry. Don't come in here with a high and mighty attitude that you are better than us but aren't able to deliver on that"
I think am sort of an expert on forums/groups/FBgroups/games groups/etc and I tell you I've met like dozens of those kind.I think it's an Ego complex...the only way they feel better is by going online and bragging about how big their willy is when in fact you'd need a microscope to see it but "wizards" are a special kind of stupid.Oy gutenu
LOL! He was "unique". I honestly have seen a lot of things over the years on forums but he was a first for me. I have never seen somebody so far out in left field before. It was nuts.



Susan Mulno likes this.
chanda95 is offline  
post #17 of Old 08-25-2015, 01:56 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9
Posting art

Chanda,
It's getting to the point where i'd rather not even post on facebook now. 90 per cent of my frineds are actully my wife's friends (they just see my posts because of that). I take THERE photographs very often. When i post there photos, sure........i get tons of likes, and comments like (oh, you look so good so and so etc), but obviously it's not about how good the artistic photos aspect is. I'm complaining i realize that.
Posting my artwork......a few likes nothing more.
patindaytona is offline  
post #18 of Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by patindaytona View Post
Chanda,
It's getting to the point where i'd rather not even post on facebook now. 90 per cent of my frineds are actully my wife's friends (they just see my posts because of that). I take THERE photographs very often. When i post there photos, sure........i get tons of likes, and comments like (oh, you look so good so and so etc), but obviously it's not about how good the artistic photos aspect is. I'm complaining i realize that.
Posting my artwork......a few likes nothing more.
From what I can see your artwork is just incredible. There are a few that I can't see when I click on them. They come up with an invalid link error. To fix that just edit your photo to put in a simple description and they will be available for us to view larger. I think your work deserves more than a few simple likes. I am blessed to have friends who appreciate the work I do both with my art and my photography however I don't think FB is generally a great place to display your work if you are looking for helpful critique..unless you have a bunch of artistic friends..



chanda95 is offline  
post #19 of Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Senior Member
 
FanKi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Argentina
Posts: 879
I disagree with you Just.
You can't judge everyone with the same criteria.

If you are a newbie, you know your work is not the best on earth, but is usless to hear it from others. What do you want us to say if we see someone recently started (Maybe as me)? "This is crap. The outlines are wrong. Bad proportions. You should change your shadowing technique cuz it doesn't work good."? Sorry if I'm incorrect, but that's not the way to teach, and even worse, to learn.

Nobody need negative coments, not even a Pro. And let me say, supportive criticism is way too different from negative coments. (As for example, When I reached here I was told to leave outlines if I want to improve, at the same time I was being congratulated by the same person.)
Bushcraftonfire and leighann like this.


<Ayekan lanpu!>
<Smiling until death!>
<Sonriendo hasta la muerte!>
FanKi is offline  
post #20 of Old 08-25-2015, 07:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanKi View Post
I disagree with you Just.
You can't judge everyone with the same criteria.
I never said that Frank.
just is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Artist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome